Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Celebrating Chanukah By Visiting Some Blog Friends

I really wish I could easily beam myself, or have everyone beam themselves to a Chanukah party here in Shiloh, to all the people I know both in real life and just through their blog persona.  Tonight we light the first Chanukah Candle of the year.  Most of you are probably busy with your friends and families; at least I hope so.

Last night at work at Yafiz, Sha'ar Binymain one of my fellow workers gave out some sufganiyot, those Israeli jelly doughnuts, the traditional Chanukah food here.  Because everyone kept claiming they were surprisingly good, I tried a bite, and they weren't worth it.  But one bite was all I needed.  Actually, I had been hungry, and after that I wasn't.

So, let's start with food at Real Food Holidays Blog Carnival – Hanukkah 2011.  And here's some food for thought from Tzvee's Talmudic Blog.

As usual Dry Bones pictures it just right.  This golden oldie cartoon gives the message of Chanukah.


The Baleboosteh is back to blogging with a vengeance.  There's a post everyday recently.  Read about her Hanukkah preparations.

Leora's dreidels are perfect to illustrate this post.  Don't you agree?  I'm sure that many of my friends in Efrat did their gift shopping at the fair that Sharon blogged about.

Hadassa posted this video on making potato latkesI must admit that I don't do it that way.  I don't soak the potatoes, and I can't remember the last time I had them "hand-grated."  Also to cut down on carbohydrates, use celeriac, the root of the strong celery.



Rafi's Life in Israel posted about the "Kotel" in New York.  The Maccabees must be rolling in their graves.

Here are some menu ideas from Jennifer in MamaLand.  Shirat Devorah wishes us all a Chanukah Sameach, as does Seraphic Secrets.

On a completely different note, Mother in Israel blogged about how all this modern technology has made shiva, mourning and comforting the mourner different.

Chag Urim Sameach
May You Have an Enlightened Chanukah

5 comments:

Lisa @ Real Food Digest said...

Chag Sameach to you and your family!!

Batya said...

Thanks and to you, too.

Baleboosteh said...

Thanks for the mention and I hope you and the family are having a wonderful Hanukkah :)

Leora said...

Thank you for including my dreidels! Chanukah has inspired me well this year.

Batya said...

Baleboosteh, my pleasure, thanks.
Leora, isn't Chanukah and the enlightening holiday?
Chag Urim Sameach