Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Some Things Get Better

My husband blogged about his recent visit to the emergency ward.   When I got there this morning, (trekker son was with him when he was admitted last night) I came with all the food I'd need for myself for the day.  OK, I must admit that the food had been prepared to take to Matan for my morning of Bible study.  I even had a full thermos of coffee. 

My husband had spent the night at Sha'are Tzekek, a hospital I had once known very well.

My youngest was in the hospital for a very long six weeks when he was a tiny baby.  I lost a lot of weight during that time, because I didn't have a way of getting food most of the time.  The visitors snack bar shut down early afternoon, and even though my son as a patient could have gotten formula, I the cow nursing mother got nothing to keep up my strength and milk supply.

A few years ago, when my parents were here for their last visit together, my father needed a check-up in the Emergency Room.  I was amazed that some charity fund kept passing out sandwiches and pastries.  This was for people just spending a few hours in the hospital.  What an improvement over that time all those years ago when I barely ate for six weeks, and I was producing milk for my baby.

And this morning, someone made the rounds with food for the patients and visitors. Things really have changed.  Yes, they have gotten better.

PS for years I've heard about the amazing Shabbat meals in Israeli hospitals offered to those staying with patients.  Nothing like that was available way back then.  I had to get food from friends or eat almost nothing.  And in case you're wondering, no, I'd rather not have the need to ever sample any of that wonderful food. 

Refuah Shleimah, A Complete Healing to all in need.

No comments: