Friday, September 21, 2012

Israel, Through New Eyes

We made aliyah forty-two 42 years ago, and we sailed here in a giant cruise liner.  That's like being captive in a hotel for almost two weeks.  Towards the end of the trip there were two stops, one in Lisbon, Portugal and the other in Piraeus, Greece.  The Israel we found was not the modern Israel of today. 

Even the wealthy of Israel in 1970 didn't live like your average American of the time.  Now aliyah is to a country that rivals any when it comes to technology and modern conveniences.  Of course there are lots of "only in Israel" things here.  After spending two thirds of my life (my entire adult life) as an Israeli, I take things for granted.  This is all normal for me.

So I got a kick out of watching the "finale" of Jamie Geller's aliyah series. 



I must admit that I didn't watch any of the previous nine of this series of ten youtube videos.  I don't know all that much about her, though I did review her book  Quick & Kosher Cookbook-Meals in Minutes.  Geller is a Jewish media star and no doubt there will be more series from her, most probably on how to use various Israeli fruits and vegetables and how to make typical Israeli foods.

My only real complaint about her video is the awe shown to the rebuilding of the Churva Synagogue.  I'm among those who feel that it should have remained a ruin to remind us that Jordan destroyed it and nobody but Jews cared.  What should be built is the Third Beit HaMikdash, Holy Temple on Har HaBayit, The Temple Mount.

I sincerely wish the Geller family yishuv tov,  a wonderful, successful and healthy life in the Holy Land.  If they decide to visit Shiloh and tour Shiloh HaKeduma at Tel Shiloh, they should give me a call.

No comments: