Saturday, March 09, 2013

Keeping Happy by Cheering for Your Team

I noticed an interesting article in the New York Times, not anything political, which says that it's healthy to cheer on a sports team.  I can see that as very true.  There's definitely a physical response when we're in the swing of cheering together at my son's IFL football games.  It doesn't matter how tired I am, how long and difficult my week has been.  I find myself on my feet, almost dancing as I urge my team, the Jerusalem Lions to victory, even when they fail.

Maybe that doesn't make sense to you.

As the mother of a player, I care about more than which team got more points.  I also worry about injuries.  Or should I say that I care more about the health and safety of the players than if they win or lose. 

Of course that doesn't stop me from urging my team to tackle the opposing player with the ball.  This is American tackle football, though with a Hebrew accent. 

I'm in touch with a few other MoP's mothers of players, and we all agree that it would make us happier if football had tie scores, especially when our sons are on opposing teams.

Win or lose, the Jerusalem Lions always end their games (at least the home ones) by thanking the fans.




And at the very, very end, after one game, the visiting team insisted on doing the Harlem Shake.


3 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

I don't have much use for the Harlem Shake phenomenon; but I like that both teams cooperated in a sportsmanlike manner. And I LOVE the class act that is the Lions, and their respect for the other team, for the fans, and their gratitude to their fans. Kol hakavod, guys!

Batya said...

I only saw it that one time, and it was started by a Tel Aviv team....
Our kids aren't into it.

Batya said...

Ruti, I was referring to the Harlem Shake, of course.

The Lions and fans have a great relationship.