Sunday, October 20, 2013

5 Shekel Food Made it to Jerusalem!





One of the big news items for Israeli noshers, meaning almost the entire population of the country, has been an everything for five shekel food place in Tel Aviv to bring down the prices of simple take-out food  such as coffee and pizza.  I'm not sure that the five shekel place I found in the entrance to the Jerusalem Centraal Bus Station is from the same businessman, Avi Cohen of Cofix, because this is strictly kosher and called פשוט טעים Pashut Taim, Simply Tasty.  None of the Cofix articles I found mentions kashrut, but the kosher market in Jerusalem is much larger than in Tel Aviv.

פשוט טעים Pashut Taim, Simply Tasty has a simply wonderful menu, coffee, salad, pizza, sandwiches soft drinks, pastries and even ice cafe.



In all honesty, at that price it hardly pays to brown bag it, if you're going to be in the area.  Now I must admit that I never got to sample any of their items.  I was going to treat myself to an ice cafe, but when I ordered one, I was told that the machine had just been refilled and it would take another ten to fifteen minutes until it was really icy.  I didn't have the time to wait.  But I could see all of the satisfied customers who had ordered other items.  Since I had just completed dental work, I couldn't eat one of their salads and thought that ice cafe would be a nice safe, even if calorie-laden, choice.

No doubt I'll be back there to buy.  If you spot any branches in other parts of the city or country, please let me know in the comments, thanks.

6 comments:

Ester said...

Thanks for sharing this! Just FYI, Coffix says on their FB page that they will be kosher (don't know about mehadrin, but yes to kosher).
I'm sure this is someone else, trying to copy the same idea. I hope it takes off and more places jump on board! Actually, I hope ALL food prices come down to an affordable level...

Anonymous said...

Coffix IS Kosher (rabbanut), closed on Shabbat.

Lorri M. said...

Nice photos, and nice post about the food place. Let us know if you return, and what the food was like.

Batya said...

That's great re: Coffix, Ester and a, thanks for the info
Lorri, bli neder I will. I'm very excited about it.

Lady-Light said...

Are you kidding? I'M excited about, and I don't even live there.. .yet.

Batya said...

Lady light, it's a good revolution, even if the portions are smaller. we don't need to overeat.