Friday, July 10, 2015

One More Week to Rosh Chodesh Av

One of the stock questions doctors ask people  when checking on dementia and connection to reality is the date. Now I must be perfectly honest, since I don't have to fill in any daily forms since I stopped teaching, and I have no upcoming trip to the states with planes to catch, I'm pretty awful about remembering the date, at least according to the goyish calendar.

I certainly know the day of the week, or how would I know which day is morning hours for the pool for women? And of course I quickly memorize my weekly work schedule, which varies from week to week, but without checking my phone or a news site on the computer, I can't tell you what the actual date today is in July. And we celebrate the Jewish birthdays in my family!

But if I'm out at night and can see the moon I can give a pretty accurate guess as what date it is on the Jewish Calendar, which is strictly lunar. Just like I can tell time on a regular clock that doesn't have humbers by the placement of the hands, I can see the approximate date by the size/shape of the moon in the night sky.


And I know the name of the month, because I've been organizing Women's Rosh Chodesh Prayers at Shiloh Hakeduma, Tel Shiloh for a number of years. This coming Friday will be Rosh Chodesh Av. Please join us if you can, and spread the word about our group. Rosh Chodesh, the first of the Jewish Month is traditionally a Jewish Holiday for women. And Shiloh is a traditional, from the days of the Bible, place for prayer, especially women's prayer. One of the most famous Biblical stories about women and prayer takes place in Shiloh. It was in Shiloh, which was then the religious and administrative Capital of the Jewish Nation where Chana (Hannah) prayed successfully for a son. And that son, Shmuel (Samuel) led the Jewish People from the anarchy of the time of the Judges into the glory and magnificence of the Kingdom of David.

Women's Prayers at Shiloh Hakeduma, Tel Shiloh Rosh Chodesh Av
Friday July 17, 2015
1st of Av, 5775, 8:30am
Hallel and Musaf for Rosh Chodesh
Tour of Tel Shiloh
Dvar Torah, Short Torah Lesson
Please come and invite family, friends and neighbors
תפילת נשים ראש חודש אב בשילה הקדומה, תל שילה
יום ו' 17-7  א' אב, תשע"ה 8:30
הלל ומוסף לראש חודש
יהיה דבר תורה קצר וסיור בתל
כדאי לבוא ולהזמין חברות, משפחה ושכנות

Please save the date, publicize it and join us.
Please mark it on your calendar and make arrangements to come. Also, whether you can come or not, please let friends and family know about it, thanks.
You're welcome to join our facebook page.

Mark your calendar, and join us. For more information, please contact me at shilohmuse@gmail.com with "Rosh Chodesh at Tel Shiloh" as subject, thanks.

You can visit the holy site anytime. Guided tours can be arranged through the Shiloh HaKeduma, Ancient Shiloh office. Email visit@telshilo.org.il or phone 02-994-4019.

Shabbat Shalom uMevorach!

No comments: